Thursday, February 22, 2007

Is "The Secret" a lie? - by Joe Vitale

 My Photo
Name: Joe Vitale
Location: Wimberley, Texas, US

Author of way too many books to list here



It's the ebb and flow of life.

Sooner or later the critics come flying out of their dark hiding places and start finding holes in anything that is popular. Start talking about global warming and eventually others will start talking about global cooling. And both will have sound arguments to defend their cases.

This is just beginning to happen with critics of the movie The Secret. One recent article even went as far as to say The Secret is a lie. And even dangerous. The article defends its position with mental images about the poor in Africa, or children dying of diseases.

It's a pretty bleak view and a strongly worded emotional argument.

So, is The Secret a lie?

Of course not.

It's no more a lie than anything else taken out of context and reinterpreted in a filtered, limited, negative way.

The movie is all about one idea. It doesn't pretend to tell you the secret-s of the universe. Just one of them.

And is The Secret dangerous?

At most, it may be guilty of leaving out some important extra steps to creating your ideal life.

If I were involved in the making of the movie (I'm in the movie but I didn't produce it), I'd also point out there is a law of right action, too.

Also, there are often counter intentions that need cleared for The Secret to work.

And I'd make sure people knew that feeling is more important than thought in creating your own reality.

But maybe those topics will be discussed in the sequel.

Still, the movie reveals the Law of Attraction in a powerful, inspired and inspiring way.

It's not at all dangerous.

But it's so easy to be a critic. Simply focus on the negative, find situations or people who the item won't or didn't work for, and then condemn the item.

I could take virtually any self-help, personal development, financial success, science of influence, rules of engagement, or any other book, course or topic out there and with little effort find situations where it won't or didn't work.

Critics do that all the time.

The media does that, too.

What would be the point?

It would be staying in the negative and keeping people feeling bad.

How would that serve anyone?

I prefer to inspire myself and others.

In fact, my next book, Zero Limits, explains that what you have to do to change the entire planet is change yourself.

My own take is that The Secret will work for anyone who will apply it.

What about the people in Africa?

Well, do you think they know The Secret?

Hardly.

What about children dying?

Well, do you think they know The Secret?

Hardly.

And what if someone who knew The Secret ended up in Africa or with a disease?

Obviously (as the movie points out), they could change themselves and their situation.

That's the whole point of knowing The Secret.

Rather than condemning the movie by citing examples where people don't even know the principle let alone practice it, I think a wiser stance is to find how The Secret works, demonstrate it in your own life, and let your life be a model for others to be inspired by.

I think that's what the teachers in the movie, including myself, are trying to do.

All in all, I'd rather be a creator than a critic.

By creating a life worth living, I make a difference in the world -- first in my own life, and then in the lives of others who are inspired to dare something worthy, too.

The Secret isn't a lie; it's a law.

You just have to apply it.

Ao Akua,

Joe
www.mrfire.com

PS - I got a traffic ticket a week ago. I attracted it to me -- by not obeying the law. The law is there for me to obey or not. Follow it and I get good results. Don't follow it and I may get results I don't want. Traffic law can be considered less important or concrete than the law of gravity. But it's still a law. So is the law revealed in the movie The Secret. Go watch it again.

TIP: Most people who criticize The Secret are doing so because they want it to work but can't seem to make it work. One of the biggest reasons The Secret doesn't instantly work for someone is due to lack of forgiveness. An entire culture can experience this. But it can be changed with one person forgiving. Namely you. I'm doing this myself, and constantly going through my mental files to see who or what needs forgiven in my life (including me). For help, consider the Subliminal Manifestation DVDs or of course Miracles Coaching. And dare something worthy, that will inspire yourself and others, rather than raining on a parade that could heal millions. Don't be seduced by the dark side. Go toward the light.




Gaiam.com, Inc



No comments: